When summer ends, a whole lot of your favourite fruits also vanish from your eye sight and you will surely miss the season!! The best thing one can do is, prepare some jams or preserves and try to store this for future use. This jackfruit preserve stays good for almost a year or more in the freezer. It is very handy when you want to make payasam for any festivals or any special occasions. Here is my recipe for homemade jackfruit preserve, which we make every year and use it for Prathamam, which is nothing but kheer or payasam from the preserve!!!
Jack fruit – 1 big bowl (cleaned)
Jaggery – 2 blocks (I have used organic one)
- Put little by little jack bulbs and make a smooth paste in a mixer grinder.
- Take one thick bottomed kadai, put this paste and keep gas flame in a very low flame and cook for a while.
- When it changes its colour from bright yellow to a pale colour and when you smell the cooked jackfruit flavour in the air, add jaggery and mix this in a regular interval.
- After some time, it will turn into a light brown then to darkish colour and it will start to leave the sides of the kadai. Now it is the time to remove it from the fire.
- Keep as it is and when it reaches room temperature; store it in an airtight container or a zip lock.
- Keep it under refrigeration/ freezer.
- You can do this in a microwave as well. Only thing, you should remove the glass bowl at regular intervals and give a stir and proceed as given above.
-You can use sugar or regular jaggery as well.
-Traditionally we use jaggery in our region.