Patholi is an offering which we make on the day of “Nagara Panchami”, or the snake festival in our house hold. Monsoon is the season in which we get lot of greens in abundance. Maybe that is the reason this dish is made in turmeric leaves.
Patholi is coconut and jaggery filled steamed kadubu or steamed rice cake, usually folded and steam cooked in turmeric leaves. Turmeric leaf gives beautiful aroma and good taste and this pleasantly aromatic dish is favoured by everyone in our family.
Dosa rice /white rice – 2 cups
Grated coconut – 1 ½ cup
Grated Jaggery – ½ cup (to taste).
Ghee/ Clarified butter – 4 tsp.
Salt to taste
Turmeric leaves – 8 to 10
– Wash rice and soak it for 2 to 3 hours.
– Wash turmeric leaves and keep it aside.
– Grind this soaked rice in to smooth paste by adding ½ cup of coconut, water and salt and little jaggery.
– Now keep thick bottomed kadai, pour this ground batter and add some water to make thin consistency. Now add 2 tsp of ghee and start heating this mixture by continuous stirring. When it becomes little thick and forms a mass, switch off the gas and keep it aside to cool to handle it further.
– In the meantime, make sweet coconut-jaggery mixture. In thick bottomed vessel add jaggery and ½ cup of water and heat. If you find some impurities in jaggery syrup, sieve this liquid and heat further and add fresh grated coconut and cook until it is sticky and forms mass. Add remaining ghee to this and mix. Now stuffing is ready.
– Method to make Patholi:
– Take little water in a bowl to dip your hand in between, while applying rice batter over turmeric leaf.
– Now take lemon sized rice batter ball, apply as thin as possible by using your hand by dipping your hand in bowl of water in between.
– After applying ,spread coconut –jaggery mixture to half of every leaf in which batter is spread (please refer pictures)
– Now fold this in to half and keep this in a idly steamer and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until done.
– Serve with ghee.