This is how I prepare oats idli/idly at home. This recipe is so handy, healthy and a very good option to finish off our stock of sour curd. I usually roast rawa and oats the previous night and proceed directly to prepare in the morning, so that one can save time and it also gets enough time to cool down properly. I don’t use any seasoning and make it exactly like our regular normal idly and serve either with hing or onion and coconut chutney.
Quick cooking oats – 1 ½ cup
Normal rava/semolina – 1 cup
Sour Curd – 2 cups
Water -1 cup
Eno fruit salt – 1tsp
Ghee /clarified butter – 1 table spoon
– Take one tawa and roast rava by adding ghee.
– When rawa becomes white, sandy in texture, add oats and proceed frying it for 2 to 3 minutes and switch off the gas.
– Cool this properly. (I usually do this the previous night)
– Mix curds, water, required amount of salt (around 1 tsp) and Eno.
– Add roasted rawa and oats mixture. Consistency should be like regular idly batter.
– Set cooker for steam cooking, by adding 1 to 2 cups of water and keep it on a fire.
– Rinse idly moulds or stand with clean water (This will help as a non-sticky coating)
– Pour 1 serving spoon of a ready batter, steam cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
– Serve with any chutney of your choice.