Soft, melt in a mouth citrusy warm pudding is paired with fresh strawberry sauce. It is a real treat in winter evenings. The basic recipe is from here and I adapted it according to our taste and availability of the ingredients.
All-purpose flour or Almond flour – ¼ cup
Salt – one pinch
Lemon zest – from one lemon
Eggs -2 (separated)
Butter- 1 tablespoon
Sugar- 2/3 cup
Buttermilk – 2/3 cup
Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
Sugar – 2 tablespoon
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. i.e. All-purpose flour, salt, lemon zest and mix this nicely by using a dry wire whisk.
- Preheat oven at 160° C . Keep cookie tray inside by putting water. So that the water bath will be ready to bake while preheating.
- Take 4 pudding moulds and apply some butter or oil and keep aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, buttermilk, lemon juice, sugar. Beat until well mixed.
- Add dry ingredient content to this and keep aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until you get stiff peaks. It takes almost 2 to 3 minutes of beating.
- Combine this with a pudding mixture by folding gently by using a wooden or plastic spatula.
- Divide evenly by filling this into 4 pudding moulds.
- Bake these filled cups in a hot water bath for 40 minutes or until the top becomes light brown.
- After placing the cups, check for the water level in the cookie tray (water bath). If it is less, please fill it with little hot water and close the oven door.
- When it is done, remove from the water bath and cool those cups.
- Now you can make strawberry sauce or Compote :
- Chop all the strawberries, Mix in sugar and keep aside for 5 minutes. Churn half of the content in a mixer jar and keep another half as it is. So that you will have some chunks in your sauce and it looks good as well OR to make the compote, cook all these until syrup become bubbly and cool before serving it.
- For serving, invert the pudding on a serving plate and pour some strawberry sauce and enjoy.
Note: To invert the pudding, you can use a small knife at the edge and it will release itself from the sides.