Raw jackfruit is a less known very healthy; fiber rich and low glycemic index whole some vegetable.In our coastal region, we start using jack from its very tender form. We have so many traditional recipes. Apart from that, we even enjoy this one pot meal, and it is a very good option for tiffin boxes for lunch.
Basmati Rice – 3 cups
Raw Jack pieces – 1 big bowl.
Ghee – 3 table spoon
Bay leaf – 1
Shahjeera – ½ teaspoon
Cinnamon – 1” piece
Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
Green chillies – 3
Ginger garlic paste – 1 table spoon
Curd – 1 small cup
Shahi Biryani Masala – 1 to 1 ½ table spoon
Pudina – 10 strings (chopped)
Coriander leaves – 10 strings (chopped)
- Wash Basmati rice and soak it while preparing other things.
- Chop Young jack into bite size pieces by removing outer skin (thorny part) and inner pith and soak this in a bowl of water.
- Chop onion, slice green chillies, chop Pudina and coriander leaves.
- Before keeping cooker vessel, drain soaked rice and chopped jack pieces and keep aside.
- Now take one cooker vessel, heat ghee. Put bay leaf, Shahjeera and cinnamon.
- Next add chopped onion, green chillies, turmeric, salt and fry until it becomes light brown.
- When onion becomes brown, add ginger garlic paste and fry until its raw smell vanishes.
- Next add Biryani masala ,Curd , jack pieces and mix nicely until masala coats the Jack pieces.
- Now add drained rice and fry for a while, add chopped Pudina and coriander.
- Now add sufficient water (6 cups) and check for the salt.
- When it starts boiling, close the lid and cook until one whistle and keep it in a simmer for 3 minutes and switch off the gas.
- When pressure relieves, serve this with onion raita.
NOTE: I usually use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of Basmati rice.
2 thoughts on “Kathal Ki Biryani / Raw Jackfruit Biryani:”