Wild mangoes are known as Kadu mavina hannu in our local language. Which is very fibrous, tangy as well as sweet in taste. It has distinct taste; it is widely used in varieties of curries in our region. Hasi Gojju is nothing but, raw form of curry. Which can be prepared in a jiffy and doesn’t need any heating and is a perfect treat for summer. Usually we enjoy this with hot rice as well as devoured like a dessert :D. In Mango season, we do prepare varieties of curries like Sasame or Sasive, saaru and Gojju are the most loved dishes of our region.
Wild mangoes -5-6
Salt – to taste
Jaggery – to taste
Green chillies – 1 or 2
Seasoning: Coconut oil – 1 tsp, mustard – 1 tsp, Red chilli – 1, Curry leaves – little.
- Wash wild mangoes, remove top part of the mango, remove outer skin and keep this in a separate vessel. Keep inner fruit part in another vessel.
- Add one cup of water to outer skin, mash nicely, collect pulpy water and add this to fruit.
- Discard outer remaining skin. Add required amount of jaggery, salt and crush green chillies by using your hand.
- Mix everything, check for the seasoning. If needed add some more grated jaggery or salt.
- Season by using coconut oil. When it is hot, add mustard, after it splutters, add red chilli and curry leaves, add this to mango curry.
- Enjoy this with hot rice.
-If you don’t have access to wild mango, don’t worry. Pick up any (little sour) varieties of mango, peel the outer skin and chop the fruit into bite size pieces or mash a little and proceed with above method.
4 thoughts on “Kadu Mavina hannina Hasi Gojji/ Wild Mango Gojju:”