Kanile is nothing but Bamboo shoot. We coastal people, prepare some delicacies from this seasonal high fibre veggie, this curry is prepared by mixing with sprouted Green gram. which is very tasty and goes very well with Dosa or Rice. So, it is a seasonal treat for us.
We normally use fresh bamboo shoot and chop it in this manner. (please refer to the Post of How to chop Bamboo shoot)
Ready Bamboo shoot – 1 cup (you can use frozen or tinned too)
Sprouted green gram /moong – 1 cup
Red chilli powder – 1teaspoon
Green chilli – 1
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Coriander – 2 tsp
Cumin- 1 tsp
Red chilli – 3
Garlic cloves – 2
Fresh grated Coconut – 1cup
Tamarind – ½ tsp
Coconut oil – 1tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Red chilli -1
- – Cook Sprouted moong and ready to cook bamboo shoots in sufficient water, by adding turmeric, red chilli powder, and slit green chilli.
- – Roast coriander, cumin, red chilli and garlic by putting little oil for masala.
- – Grind this into smooth paste by adding coconut and tamarind and sufficient water.
- – Add this ground masala to cooked mixture and boil nicely.
- – Do the seasoning. Heat coconut oil ,splutter mustard ,add red chilli and curry leaves fry and pour over the curry.
2 thoughts on “Kanile Gashi /Bamboo Shoot and sprouted moong Gravy:”