Akki Rotti is a traditional Breakfast item of Karnataka. Usually it is prepared either by adding chopped greens, grated veggies or only onion. Here I have added chopped spring onion greens as well as bulbs, which is mixed with rice flour to form a thick pliable dough to make super tasty gluten free flat bread. I have served it with coconut and onion chutney, which we traditionally prepare in a Mangalore house hold.
Rice flour – 3 cups
Spring onion -1 bundle
Green chillies – 2
Fresh Coconut gratings – 2 table spoons
Water – to bind
Oil – to fry the rotti.
– Wash and clean the spring onion and green chillies.
– Chop green chillies, spring onion greens and bulbs finely.
– Take one wide steel bowl and mix in rice flour, chopped green chillies, spring onions, coconut gratings, salt.
– Make a pliable dough by adding sufficient water.
–Keep it aside for 5 to 10 minutes to absorb all the seasoning as well as to soak.
– When you want to make rotti, take one piece of banana leaf or butter paper.
– Take a little rotti dough in your moist hand, and start patting in a circular motion by dipping your hand in a water in-between.
– Sprinkle one teaspoon of oil over this patted rotti and keep it ready.
– Heat iron griddle and cook oil sprinkled rotti by putting upside down on it.
– After 2 to 3 minutes, peel off banana leaf or butter paper.
–Sprinkle little oil over it and flip.
–Cook and serve hot with Onion and coconut chutney.
-Keep one bowl of water in a reachable distance to dip your hand in-between.
-While patting the rotti, dip your hand in a bowl of water which you have kept aside.
– wetting your hand will help to avoid the dough sticking to your fingers while patting.